8.4 Payment Methods
This chapter contains information on methods of payment, including handling payments in special circumstances.
Legislative provisions - general
The Administration Act provides a common framework for payments in which:
- Payments are made in arrears and by instalments of no more than 14 days.
- Instalments are generally paid to the customer but the delegate may direct that they be paid to a nominee (1.1.N.80).
- Lump sum benefits are generally paid to the customer but the delegate may direct that they be paid to a nominee.
- In cases of severe financial hardship, part or all of the first instalment may be paid in advance.
- Certain payments may be paid outside Australia (1.1.A.320).
- Where a DVA pension and specified social security pensions (section 23(1)-'social security pension') are both payable the social security instalments may be aligned with the DVA instalments.
- Social security payments (section 23(1)-'social security payment') are rounded to the nearest cent and any payment less than one dollar is rounded up to one dollar.
- Payments must be made into bank accounts unless the delegate exempts the recipient from this requirement.
- In defined and limited circumstances, some social security payments and the pension bonus may be paid to someone else after the death of the recipient.
Act reference: SSAct section 23(1)-'social security pension', section 23(1)-'social security payment'
Legislative provisions - payment specific
The following legislative provisions are payment specific:
- If PA is payable, the minimum instalment is the fortnightly PA rate.
- YA is generally paid to a parent (section 5(1)-'parent') of a customer aged under 18 and not independent but the delegate may direct that it be paid to the customer in some circumstances.
- TAL is paid in 4 annual instalments.
- FAA is generally paid as a reimbursement to the customer after the journey has been made but the delegate may direct that it be paid to the transport operator before the journey.
Act reference: SSAct section 5(1)-'parent'
In this chapter
This chapter contains the following sections:
8.4.1 Regular Payments
8.4.2 Immediate Payments
8.4.3 Protection of Payment
Last reviewed: 29 May 2000