Home | DSS | PM&C | Education | Employment | AGD | Contact us
SS Guide Contents Using the Guide What's New 1 Key Terms & Principles 2 Claim Verification 3 Qualification & Payability 4 Income & Assets 5 Payment Rates 6 Reviews, Debts & Payment Recovery 7 Portability & CFP 8 Administration Act Provisions 9 Visas, Entitlements & Assurances of Support 10 Australian Social Security Agreements 11 Income Management Acronym List Keyword Index Act Section Index Site Map

Print this page Print this page Granting a New Payment to an Overseas Recipient


Australian payments can generally only be claimed by people who are Australian residents, and in Australia when they lodge their claim.


Act reference: SSAct section 7(2) Australian resident

SS(Admin)Act section 29 General rule



  • a cancelled payment which is restored after a successful appeal,
  • under an international social security agreement (1.1.A.120), and
  • under SS(Admin)Act section 12 - when a person is transferred from one payment to another without the need to lodge a claim.


Note 1: SpB and FTB can be granted to certain holders of temporary visas who are not legal permanent residents of Australia.

Note 2: Also FAO payments can be claimed from outside Australia, provided the person is an Australian resident.


A person may claim SA if they are temporarily outside Australia only where they have been gone for less than 6 weeks and the reason for their departure was for the purpose of seeking medical treatment of a kind not available in Australia.


Act reference: SS(Admin)Act section 32 Claims for sickness allowance, section 12 Deemed claim in certain cases


Last reviewed: 2 January 2013


Page Url: ../../../../ssg/ssguide-7/ssguide-7.2/ssguide-7.2.3/ssguide-
Last Edited: 04/12/2012 12:43:55 PM

© Commonwealth of Australia, 2014 All rights reserved