220.127.116.11 Payments Subject to Income Management
Payments subject to income management
If a person is assessed as being eligible for income management, a percentage of that person's category I payments will be subject to income management.
Under the Vulnerable Welfare Payment Recipients, Disengaged Youth, Long-term Welfare Payment Recipients and Voluntary income management measures, 50% of payments defined in the SSAct as category I payments are subject to income management.
Under the Child Protection Measure, 70% of category I payments are subject to income management.
Lump sum, advance, baby bonus, CES and ABSTUDY (with living allowance or PES) payments are income managed at 100%.
Student start-up scholarship payments and relocation scholarship payments are income managed at 100%.
Under the Cape York Reform, an income managed person receiving category P payments will have their category Q payments income managed. A person receiving category R payments will have their category S payments income managed. For more information, see 11.2.5 Payments Subject to Income Management under the Cape York Initiative.
For specific categories of payments that are subject to income management under each measure, see the following SS Guide sections:
SS Guide 11.2.5
Vulnerable Welfare Payment Recipient
Long-term Welfare Payment Recipient
Voluntary Income Management
Category I payments
Below is a list of category I payments under the SSAct:
- a category H welfare payment,
- double orphan pension,
- FTB (under the FAAct),
- FTB (under the FA(Admin)Act),
- baby bonus,
- maternity immunisation allowance,
- carer allowance,
- child disability assistance,
- carer supplement,
- mobility allowance,
- pensioner education supplement,
- TAL under SSAct Part 2.25,
- TAL under Part VIIB of the VEA,
- UA under SSAct Part 2.25A,
- UA under Part VIIAC of the VEA,
- a distance education payment under the AIC scheme, where payment relates to a child or children at a Homelands Learning Centre,
- a payment under the ABSTUDY scheme that includes an amount identified as PES,
- social security bereavement payment,
- veterans' entitlement bereavement payment,
- an advance payment under SSAct Part 2.22,
- an advance PhA under SSAct Part 2.23,
- a MOB advance under SSAct section 1045,
- an advance payment under Part IVA or VIIA of the VEA,
- income support bonus.
Payments not subject to income management
Payments and allowances that are not subject to income management include, but are not limited to:
- all DVA compensation payments,
- CCB and child care rebate,
- crisis payment,
- Australian Government disaster recovery payment,
- PBS payments including the top-up and bereavement payments,
- one-off, bonus or ex-gratia payments paid to older Australians or carers,
- special employment advances,
- education entry payment,
- seniors concession allowance,
- fares allowance,
- ABSTUDY payments that do not include an amount identified as either living allowance or PES,
- AIC payments except those paid directly to parents for children at a Homelands Learning Centre,
- CDEP supplement (not to be confused with Northern Territory CDEP transition payment, which is subject to income management),
- DAFF payments made by Centrelink to farmers or small businesses,
- national green jobs corps supplement,
- pharmaceutical allowance,
- paid parental leave payments, including dad and partner pay,
- low income supplement, and
- essential medical equipment payment.
Last reviewed: 20 March 2013